Save the Girl Child
“Save the Girl Child” is a social initiative in India to fight against the practice of female foeticide. The initiative also aims are protecting, safeguarding, supporting, and educating the girl child.
Our present Prime Minister has requested every section of the society to give whole-hearted support to the “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao“ abhiyan (initiative). ‘Beth Bachao’ means ‘save girl child’ and ‘Beth Padhao’ means ‘educate the girl child.’
Poor households, when faced with the choice, often choose to send their male children to school instead of their female children, instead saddling female children with back-breaking household chores.
Female foeticide is both a national problem and a social evil. It’s unbelievable that the urge for a boy-child makes them so cruel that they dare to kill the yet to be born. As such it is crucial to step in and save the female children.
Causes of female foeticide
Various scholars have suggested different possible causes for the problem of female foeticide.
1. Low position of women: Women have been subjected to injustice since ages. Some people feel that the birth of girl child may lower their status in the society. There is an extreme desire for boy-child among some sections of our society.
2. Extreme poverty: People who live in extreme poor condition often think that the girl child would cause more economic hardship to them. The social evil of dowry system further worsens the situation. Some people think that they will to have to arrange for huge dowry for her marriage.
3. Illiteracy: Illiteracy is the leading of all social evils. Illiterate people are ignorant people, and not able to judge their actions in the right perspective.
4. Dowry system: Dowry system refers to the custom of paying money and other valuables to the groom’s family at the time of marriage. This tradition was probably introduced to give financial assistance to the newly wed couple. However, often, it is seen that the greedy family members of the groom’s family demand huge amount of money at the time of marriage. Dowry is viewed as a huge burden by the parents of the girl-child. (Please note that dowry is prohibited by law in India. )
How to save girl child?
1. Women empowerment: The women need to be empowered. A woman has every right to give birth to a baby. The girl child is a blessing of God. Just give her a chance, and she will make you proud with her achievements.
2. Awareness: Every citizen of civilized society should be made aware of the fact that a girl child is as important as a boy child. If she gets the right opportunity, she can provide economic support to the family and help them to come out of poverty level.
3. Education: Education raises the consciousness of a person. The mental pattern in favor of society should be transformed. This is the time for historic changes in the society. (Also read about women education here.)
4. Love, respect, and equality: Girls, just like their counterparts, deserves true freedom and equality. All children, girls and boys equally, deserve to be treated with love and respect. When we truly treat someone with love, we respect their autonomy and help them to achieve the very best that they can.
How to save girl child after her birth?
The girl child is not only unsafe inside her mother’s womb. Even after her birth, she has to face various hardships because of gender inequality. We must save the girl child after her birth as well. There is something that all of us can do to help girls all over the world.
- We all agree that girls’ education is very important. The girls should get a safe and comfortable environment at schools.
- The girl should get equal access to the educational resources of the school.
- There should be separate toilets for girl-children at schools.
- There is need for a shift in mental attitude in favor of equality between boys and girls.
- The belief that only a male-child can support the parents during the old age doesn’t hold true in today’s context. A girl can take care and support her family as well.
- The family members of the girl child should come forward to protect her rights, both within and outside her home.
- We can reach out to girls in our community and help them with their needs.
- The physical abuse and harassment of girl child should be dealt strictly. The guilty should be punished as per the law.
- Dowry stem should be effectively discouraged through media campaigns. Emphasis should be made to impart moral education to put an end to this evil system.
- Doctors and other medical professions should be encouraged to behave responsibly. They should never indulge in any mal-practices such as prenatal sex determination.
- We can promote strong images of powerful, successful girls and women that will serve as role models and help to combat gender based cultural discrimination.
- We can also donate money to schemes that are designed to help girls, or volunteer with charitable organizations overseas.
The ‘save the child girl, educate the girl child’ initiative is actively supported by the Government, corporate groups, human rights activists and NGOS.
Under the initiative of ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’, several social organizations have come forward to build toilet at girl schools.
The corporate India, as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), is also earmarking funds for the welfare of school going girls.
Legal status of prenatal sex determination
According to the laws prevailing in India, the determination of prenatal sex during pregnancy is illegal and punishable by law.
It is unfortunate that people still misuse the ultrasonography (diagnostic sonography) scan to determine the sex of the unborn baby. There is a need for:
- Strict enforcement of laws relating to medical scanning.
- Impart moral teachings on doctors.
- Educate people that there is no difference between a girl and a boy child.
Save Girl Child is a phrase that ought to be very important to all of us. We still, sadly, live in a very unequal world where girls and women are discriminated against according to their gender. Girls are at greater risk of gender based violence, and also from gendered threats such as female foeticide, forced marriage, lower pay due to gender based discrimination, child pregnancy, lower education levels due to the undervaluing of female education, sexual harrassment and much more. As such, it is important to take care of girl children and to give them all of the opportunities that they need to succeed in life.
We belong to the modern generation of humanity. We seek an environment where every human-being is considered free. We seek an environment where every unborn child is welcomed without any gender bias.
Mahatma Gandhi gave the slogan of ‘do or die’ to his countrymen for the cause of their motherland. The unborn girl-child is also seeking similar spirit among the countrymen in support of her cause.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles, Social Issues in IndiaTagged With: Social Issues in India
We have provided below variety of speech on save girl child for the school students. All the save girl child speech are written using very simple and easy words especially for the students to fulfill their needs and requirements. Dear parents you can motivate your children to take part in the speech recitation at any special occasion celebration in their schools using such simple and easily understandable speeches.
Speech on Save Girl Child
Save Girl Child Speech 1
First of all I would like to say my humble good morning to the excellencies, respected teachers and my dear colleagues. On this special occasion, I would like to speech over save the girl child. In the Indian society, girl children are considered as the curse from the ancient time. If we think from our own mind the question arise that how the girl child can be a curse. The answer is very clear and full of fact that without a girl child, boy child can never take birth in this world. Then why people do lots of violence again women and girl child. Why they want to kill the girl child before taking birth in her mother’s womb. Why people rape or sexually harass the girls at home, public place, schools or work place. Why a girl is attacked by the acid and why a girl child become victim of various men cruelty.
It is very clear that a girl child always become blessing for the society and reason for the continuation of life in this world. We worship many female Goddesses at various festivals however never feel a little bit of kind to the women living in our home. Truly, the girls are pillars of the society. A small girl child can be a good daughter, a sister, a wife, a mother and other good relations in the future. If we kill them before taking birth or do not care after taking birth then how we will get a daughter, sister, wife or mother in future. Is anyone of us has ever thought that what will happen if women deny to be pregnant, give birth to a baby or give all responsibility of their motherhood to men. Are men able to do all such responsibilities. If not; then why girls are killed, why they supposed as curse, why they are burden to their parents or society. Why the eyes are not being open of the people even after many surprised truth and facts about girls.
Now-a-days, women are working outside in the field with the men by meeting shoulder to shoulder together with their all the responsibilities at home. This is a big shame to us that still girls are victims of many violence even they have changed themselves to survive in this modern world. We should actively participate in the campaign of save the girl child by removing the male dominating nature of the society. In India male considered themselves dominating and superior than women which gives rise all the violence against girls. Saving the girl child first needs parents to change their mind. They need to stop neglecting their daughter’s nutrition, education, living style, etc. They need to consider their kids same whether they are girls or boys. It is the parent’s positive thinking towards girls which can change the whole society in India. They should raise the voice against criminal doctors killing innocent girls in the womb before their birth just for getting some money. All the rules and regulations should be tough and active against those who are involved in the crime against girls (whether they are parents, doctors, relatives, neighbors, etc). Only then, we can think and expect a good future in India. Women should also need to be strong and raise their voice. They should learn from the great women leaders in India like Sarojini Naidu, Indira Gandhi, Kalpana chawla, Sunita Williams, etc. Without women everything is incomplete in this world like man, home, and a world itself. So, its my humble request to all of you that please involve yourself in saving the girl child.
Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi has said in his speech on girl child that “Am Standing Before you as Beggar”. He has launched a nationwide campaign named “Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao” (means Save the Girl Child and Educate Her). This campaign was launched by him to spread awareness in the society against female foeticide as well as women empowerment through education. Here are what our Prime Minister has said in his speech:
- “The prime minister of the country is begging you to save the lives of girls”.
- “In nearby Kurukshetra (in Haryana), a boy called Prince fell into a well, and the whole nation watched the rescue operation on TV. For one Prince, people united to pray, but with so many girls killed we don’t react”.
- “We are not worthy of being called citizens of 21st century. It is as if we are from the 18th century – at that time, and just after a girl’s birth, she was killed . We are worse now, we don’t even allow the girl to be born”.
- “Girls are better performers than boys. If you need proof, just look at exam results”.
- “People want educated daughters-in-law but think several times before educating their daughters. How can this go on?”
Save Girl Child Speech 2
A very good morning to the respected teachers, my dear friends and other gathered people. I would like to speech on the topic of save girl child at this special occasion. I am very grateful to my class teacher to give such a great opportunity to speech here on this important topic. Saving girl child is a big social awareness programme launched by the government of India to attract human mind on save girl child. The status of women and girl child in India is very clear to all of us. It is no hidden more that how the girls are missing from our society and country day by day. Their percentage in comparison to male are decreasing which is very serious issue. Decreasing number of girls is dangerous to the society and it makes the continuation of life on the earth suspicious. In order to promote the campaign of save girl child, Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi has launched another campaign called “Beti Bachao-Beti Padhao” (means Save the Girl Child and Educate Her).
India is a fast growing country in every fields. It is booming in the field of economy, research, technologies and infrastructure. Even after such a witnessed advancements in the country, violence again girl child is still practiced. It has made its root so deep which is creating problem in getting out completely from the society. Violence again girl child is the very dangerous social evil. The reason of female foeticide is technological improvement in the country such as ultrasound, sex determination tests, scan tests and amniocentesis, detect genetic abnormalities, etc. All such technologies have given way to various rich, poor and middle class families to detect sex of fetus and abort in case of girl baby.
Earlier amniocentesis was used (started in India in 1974) to detect only fetal abnormalities however later it was started detecting gender of the child (started in 1979 Amritsar, Punjab). However it was forbidden by the Indian Council of Medical Research but it has already destroyed many girl child before their birth. As soon as the test leaked its benefits, people started using it to fulfill their wish to get only boy baby by destroying all the unborn girl child through abortion.
Female foeticide, infanticide, lack of proper nutrition, etc are the issues of decreasing number of girl child in India. By default if a girl child take birth she face other types of discrimination and negligence by their parents and society such as basic nutrition, education, living standard, dowry death, bride burning, rape, sexual harassment, child abuse, and so many. It is very sad to express all the violence against a girl child in our society. India is a country where women are worshiped and called as mother, are still suffering male domination in various ways. According to the UN report, around 750,000 girls are being aborted annually in India especially in the Punjab and Haryana. If the practice of abortion continues for next few years, we surely will see a day without mothers and thus no life.
Generally we all feel proud to be an Indian but for what, to see girl child abortion and other violence against them. I think, we have rights to say ‘proud to be an Indian’ only when we respect and save girl child. We should realize our responsibilities of being an Indian citizen and give a better stop to this evil crime.
Save Girl Child Speech 3
Good morning to the respected teachers and my dear colleagues. As we all have gathered here to celebrate this occasion, I would like to speech on the topic of save girl child. I would like to speech on this topic to spread awareness about the importance of girl child in our lives. In order to remove the practice of cruelty against girl child in the Indian society, the Indian Prime Minister, Narendra Modi has launched a campaign called “Beti Bachao – Beti Padhao”. It is a campaign to spread awareness towards saving and educating the girl child in our home and society. Decreasing sex ratio of the girl child in our country is putting a big challenge in front of us for the future. Life possibility on the earth is because of both male and female however what will happen if the number of one sex is continuously decreasing.
It is very clear that without daughters we have no future. Indian Union Minister Smt. Maneka Gandhi has well said that “Any society with a fewer no. of girls ended up limited and aggressive because love decreased in such a society” at the work-shop organized at Panipat. The main objectives of the campaign of “Beti Bachao – Beti Padhao” is to save girl child and educate them in order to finish the root of violence against them in the society. Girls are generally being deprived of their normal and basic facilities (such as proper nutrition, education, living style, etc) in their family because of the superiority of boy baby. In the Indian society boys are given higher importance than that of girls in terms of nutrition and education. They are generally assigned to do household chores and satisfy other family members whole day against their wish. There is a famous slogan that “If you educate your daughter, you educate two families”. It is very true because educating a man is only educate a person whereas educating a women is educating whole family.
In order to make it a successful campaign, government has promised to give various types of incentives to the villagers after showing involvement in the saving and educating girls. It is to ensure the permanent removal of evils in the society like female foeticide, dowry deaths, sexual exploitation, etc. Female foeticide in India took the air because of the occurrence of gender-selective abortions technology which led to the clear and sharp drop in the ratio of girls child. This technique came in forth
as a worsening problem after the release of 2001 national census as it shown a huge reduction in the female population in some Indian states. It was continues in the results of 2011 national census especially in the prosperous regions of India.
Increasing rate of female foeticide in the Madhya Pradesh was very clear in the census results (932 girls/1000 boys in 2001 whereas 912 girls/1000 boys in 2011 and it is expecting to be only 900/1000 by 2021). Save girl child campaign will be successful only when it is supported by each and every Indian citizen.
Save Girl Child Speech 4
Good morning to the excellencies, respected teachers and my dear friends. The reason of gathering here is to celebrate this special occasion. On this occasion I would like to raise the topic of save girl child through my speech. I hope you all support me and let me fulfill the goal of this speech. As we all know that the status of girl child in our country is very low. In this modern and technological world, people have been very clever. They first go for the sex determination test before giving birth to the new member in the family. And they generally choose the option of abortion is case of girl child and continue pregnancy in case of boy baby. Earlier, cruel people were used to of killing girl baby after her birth however now-a-days they are going for ultrasound for sex determination and kill the girl infant in the mother’s womb.
There is wrong culture against women in India that girls are only consumers whereas boys are money givers. Women in India face lots of violence from the ancient time. However, it is very shame to kill girl child before birth in the mother womb. Old people expect from their daughter-in-laws to give birth to a baby boy instead of girl baby. New couples are in pressure from their family members and relatives to give birth to a baby boy. In such cases, they all go for the sex determination test in the early pregnancy to make their family members happy. However, killing a girl baby in the womb is not the only issues against them. They face a lot after coming in the world in the form of dowry deaths, malnutrition, illiteracy, bride burning, sexual harassment, child abuse, low quality lifestyle, and so many. If she takes birth by mistake, she suffers a lot in the form of punishment and will killing because her brother get full attention by the grandparents, parents and relatives. He gets everything new like shoes, dresses, toys, books, etc from time to time whereas a girl kill her all wishes. She only learn to become happy by seeing her brother. She never get chances of eating nutritious foods and quality education in the nice school.
Sex determination and sex selection are still practiced by the people even after being criminal offense in India. It has been a source of huge business all over the country. Girl child has fundamental rights of equality in the society like boys. The ever decreasing number of girl child in the country is alarming us to do something effective to give a break to it. Women need to get higher and quality education and empowered so that they can fight for their rights. They have rights to think first about their baby (whether girl or boy) in their life and nobody else. Educating them may help a lot to remove this issue from the society and make the future with girls.
Essay on Save Girl Child
National Girl Child Day
Female Foeticide Essay
Women Empowerment Essay
Essay on Beti Bachao Beti Padhao