Writing About Dedication Samples
Dedication page is the part of any , or a .
What is a Dedication Page in a Thesis or Research Paper
This part is, basically, a source to offer warmest gratefulness of the writer towards any other person for whom he wish to pay honor. Dedication page always comes on the front of the book or thesis. So, if you have done with your research and now planning to write a dedication page in a book or thesis then this article would be the right choice for you. Here, you will come with dedication quotes, words for dedication, sample dedication and other dedication examples that will assist you in turning your dedication a great blast.
Some Helpful Tips to Remember Before Writing the Dedication Page of Thesis
First of all, remember writing a dedication page for a thesis, dissertation or a is not a difficult deal. Though, it is a fact that a little bit of concentration and focus can better guide you in writing a great dedication page for your final project. Basically, dedication page shows your devotion and sense of appreciation for those who have assisted you in the pursuit of your academic goal. It can be termed as a source of acknowledgment for those who have offered their help whole heartedly in the fulfillment of your studies. However, it is also interesting to note that dedication page is totally optional and up to your willingness to add or subtract. Sometimes, it happens that you get quite nostalgic when start finding out people in your memory who have supported you to get in touch with the finish line of your project. Anyways, you do not need to worry about such situation as you can streamline all the names and add them in the dedication segment.
Helpful Guide to Write a Dedication Page in Research
Here are some important points to remember before going through dedication writing.
- First of all, if you are going to add dedication page in your term paper, thesis or dissertation then it should always be added just after endorsement.
- The dedication page will not be numbered as well as it will not be counted in total page count.
- Formatting of dedication page is also unrestricted. You can easily go with any style or format. Anyways, for better output, it is also recommended that always follow the advice of your supervisor or project coordinator regarding the style and formatting of dedication page. You can read more about in detail including the , , and .
- The dedication page should be briefest and should not exceed from one page.
- Before starting dedication page, you should develop a list of institutions as well as people you wish to pay tribute to. Individuals that you are choosing might be your parents, siblings or peers who have helped you in any way during your career. The support they offer you might be moral as well as monetary. Dedication is paid just to offer a thankful note towards their sincere support. Institutions are added in the dedication that have supported in your research or funded you with a scholarship for the successful fulfillment of your thesis or dissertation.
You can read more about the .
Steps to Write a Dedication Page for Your Thesis or Research Paper
When you finally then it is time to make a right decision in choosing a person whom you wish to be the part of your book. It is right to say that you may pass through anxiety while choosing some out of so many people whom you are going to dedicate your work. However, just make right choice after having careful look.
Remember, your dedication may be formal to informal. You can also go with beautiful dedication quotes or poems for this page of your thesis. On formal note, you can dedicate your work to your professor, supervisor, parents or any institution that supported you in the fulfillment of your academic goal. On the other hand, informal options might be your siblings, peers or even a favorite pet. However, whatever the choice you make, remember to enclose the reason of your dedication to that specific person or institution.
Here are some tips as how you can address a dedication as well as sample dedications for your assistance.
Tips on How to Address a Dedication
There are so many ways in which you can easily address your dedication. For example
- “This is dedicated to …”
- “I would like to dedicate my work to…”
- “I dedicate this book to…”
- “In dedication to my…”
- “It is our genuine gratefulness and warmest regard that we dedicate this work to…”
Alternative Formats for a Dedication
It is quite interesting to note that funny anecdotes and poems may also be the part of your dedication. However, it is better option to keep your dedication as concise and simple as it can be. Read some .
Sample of Dedication for a Book
Here are some examples from famous
- Joseph J. Rotman presents his book ‘An Introduction to Algebric Topology’ with a dedication to his beloved wife and children by adding a sense of humor for the readers
“To my wife Marganit and my children Ella Rose and Daniel Adam without whom this book would have been completed two years earlier.”
- On the other hand Lemony Snicket have added poetic expression while writing his dedication in his famous work ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events’
“For Beatrice-I cherished, you perished.The world’s been night-marished.”
- Robb Hobb encloses his dedication with a funny anecdotes in his famous book
“To caffeine and sugar, my companions through many a long night of writing.”
- Sean Carroll also presents his dedication towards his mother in beautiful words in his book ‘The Particle at the End of the Universe’
“To Mom, Who took me to the library.”
Before inserting page numbers, you need to unlink this section of the document from the previous section.To do this:
Double-click on either the very top or bottom of your new blank page where the header or footer would be.
Dotted lines should appear at the top and bottom of the page.There should also be grey boxes that say Header-Section# and Footer-Section# on the left hand side, with more grey boxes on the right hand side saying Same as Previous.
The term Same as Previous means that this section of the document is linked to the previous section.
To break this link, click anywhere in the header, click on the Design tab, then click on Link to Previous. Do the same for the footer. The boxes with Same as Previous should disappear.
Double-click anywhere in the middle of the page to finish.
To insert page numbers, click on the Insert tab.
Click on Page Number in the Header & Footer section.
Select Format Page Numbers.
Under Number format, select the lowercase Roman Numerals (i, ii, iii, …).
Under Page numbering, select Start at and set it to iii.
There is a reason you are setting the page number to iii.The Title Page is page i, and the Approval page is page ii, but they do not have page numbers on them.The page numbers do not appear until page iii of your document.
Click on Page Number again.
Select Bottom of Page.
Select Plain Number 2, which shows the number centered on the bottom of the page.
If the header and footer sections appear, just click anywhere in the center of the page to finish.
Now you will have Roman Numeral page numbers on all pages following this one, until you need to change it.
Type DEDICATION in ALL CAPS, bold, centered on first line beneath top margin. (Use CHPT_Title)
Use RegText to type the body of your text, indenting each paragraph appropriately.
When finished, click on the Insert tab, and click on Page Break to start a new section.